Sunday, April 18, 2010

Claire Elise Johnson

Claire Elise Johnson made her grand entrance into this world on Friday, April 16 at 12:35 am. She weighed 8 lbs. and was 20.5 inches long. I had gone to the doctor on Thursday morning for my normal checkup and she stripped my membranes which is supposed to help bring labor on, but I was skeptical. I have heard several people who had theirs stripped and it did absolutely nothing. So I went about my day and ran some errands while the boys were in school. I went and picked the boys up from school and brought them home for naps. Luckily Tyler took a nap that day and so I decided I would lay down for awhile and rest. I feel asleep but woke up about an hour later feeling some strong contractions. I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions for awhile, but these seemed stronger. I timed a couple of them and they were around 6-7 minutes apart. I got up and decided to get some things done around here just in case it was the real thing. I still had not packed my bag for the hospital so I got everything together and called Travis to let him know I was having stronger contractions and to be prepared to leave work just in case. The boys woke up from their naps and Tyler was asking for something and I tried to get up during a contraction and realized I couldn't get up while I was having one. I started timing them again and they were between 4-5 minutes apart and feeling stronger. I decided I was definitely in labor and by this time Travis was on his way home. We called his dad to come watch the boys and by the time he got here my contractions were consistently 4 minutes apart.

We got to the hospital and had to wait to be seen for about 30-45 minutes and my contractions were getting closer together. About 8 pm we got called back to my room and I got checked, but I hadn't really progressed much since my appointment that morning. I was dilated to about a 3. My doctor ordered me to walk for an hour and see if I made any progress before they were going to officially admit me. So as I began walking my contractions started getting really strong and about 2 minutes apart. I had to stop during each contraction and breathe and hold onto something to get through them. I was really annoyed at this point because they still hadn't admitted me and I knew I was in true labor because I already wanted my epidural!!! They finally came and checked me again about 9 pm and I was at a 5. They agreed I was in labor and started the process of admitting me, starting my IV, and getting ready for a baby. Travis asked them about my epidural and they told me I had to get at least one IV bag through me before I could get the epidural. They also mentioned that the Anesthesiologist just went to surgery with a C-section and it would be awhile. UGH! During this time I continued progressing and was around an 8 before I finally got my epidural. I was definitely hurting at that point and was SO glad when the Anesthesiologist finally showed up. About 11:55 I started pushing and at 12:35 am we had a baby girl! We were surprised at how big she was and how big her cheeks were! She was the biggest of all of my babies.

After being in recovery for 2 hours we finally got moved to our room around 3 am just to begin all the lab work, Claire's bath and vital checks. It was a long night and between people coming in and feeding Claire I probably got only about an hour and a half of sleep that night. The second night wasn't much better. Every time I would get Claire settled and asleep somebody would come in to check vitals and wake her up and she would start squealing and I would have to get her settled again. I was very frustrated. I hate being in the hospital because they are constantly coming in at night and interrupting your sleep. They never try and group procedures together so they are constantly coming in and out of your room. I think I got less sleep the second night than I did the first! I was very ready to come home to my own bed!

The boys were so excited to see Claire and have us home. They have been so sweet and want to hold her all the time. We owe a huge thanks to Travis' dad for watching the boys while we were at the hospital. The boys had a great time with him, but I think they might have driven him crazy yesterday asking him a million times when Claire was coming home! We had a great first night at home. She woke up around every 3 hours to eat and went straight back to sleep without any problems! I was very thankful because I needed to sleep. Here are some pictures from the last couple of days.



Me after finally getting my epidural. Minutes earlier I was literally in tears because I was hurting so bad. Let's just take a moment to thank the good Lord for epidurals!


Claire getting cleaned up right after she was born.


Chunky Monkey being weighed.


Holding Claire for the first time. Somehow we never got a picture of Travis that night with his little girl.


The hospital doesn't allow anyone under 16 to visit so after asking the nurse about it she told us we could take Claire to the nursery and have the boys look at her through the window. The boys were so happy to be able to finally see her.


A close up of her cheeks! They are really kissable!


Getting ready to go home.


Sweet baby girl!


In the car on the way home.


The Johnson kids! The boys were so happy to have her home.


Tyler holding her for the first time.


Cooper holding Claire for the first time. Cooper has been the most interested in Claire. He sings to her and asks to hold her all the time. He likes to pat her and tell her that he loves her.

Claire brought the boys fishing poles. They have been practicing casting them in the pool and they are going to the beach this afternoon with Daddy and Grandpa to try them out!


Cooper holding Claire this morning.


The boys wanted to put Claire on the playmat this morning and Cooper wanted to lay with her.


The boys laying with Claire on the playmat.

Needless to say, we are all in love with our precious baby Claire. My mom is coming down on Wednesday to help out. My dad is coming on Friday and then my sister is coming on Monday. They are all going to stay until the 29th. We are very excited to introduce them to Claire. It was a little strange to not have them here when she was born. Travis' mom was in Florida when Claire was born because Travis' sister Kristi just had her baby on the 5th. She is coming back on Tuesday, so Claire has a lot of people to meet.

I have to say Travis has been a HUGE help. He is a great dad and husband and I'm so thankful for him and to have him by my side. Gotta run and make the boys some lunch.

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful and you look great in all those pictures!!

kuykendall_family said...

Congrats! She is precious! I can't wait to watch her grow by following your blog. Take care!

Fleming Family said...

Thanks for posting today all that has taken place since Thursday night! But most of all, thanks for the great pictures of Claire and the boys. They are so sweet with her! We made our flights today.

Karyn Hatch said...

I loved reading your story! Claire looks precious and so lovable! It looks like she's going to have some protective older brothers. You can tell they love her so much already!

Kelsey said...

I can't wait to kiss those cheeks! She is so precious! I'm glad she gave you a good first night at home, Sarah. Tyler and Cooper look like awesome big brothers. We'll see you in a couple weeks as a family of five! :) can't wait!

The Wiggins Family said...

Sarah- Congratulations! She is beautiful! Looks like you are already having fun dressing her. It's been awhile since I have read your blog, so it was nice to know everything went well for your labor despite all the pain and lack of sleep. I pray for "the joy of the Lord to be your strength" during these transitional days. God Bless!!

Flo and Grace said...

What a beautiful family if five! Girl you looked great after labor! : ) Claire is adorable and I could just eat up those cheeks! Girls are so much fun....

Kandice Duke said...

Sarah and Travis,

Congratulations! Claire is absolutely beautiful - the perfect little addition to your sweet family! Enjoy being home with her and having your family in town soon! Take care!

Jessi said...

I just LOVE reading birth stories. Congratulations, Sarah, Travis, Tyler and Cooper! Claire is precious! How wonderful that the boys adore her! Thae pic of the boys with Claire on the floor gym looks familiar....;-)

Hope you're feeling well. Can't wait to meet your little princess.

Lettered Cottage said...

Congratulations Sarah!
She is BEAUTIFUL!
:-)

Layla

PS- My Dad's birthday is April 16th too!

2012

It's time for our recap of 2012!  This year has brought some major answer to prayers and we have seen the hand of God move in incredible...